Here is what I have heard in response to my morning greeting over the last several months. (Note: These are in chronological order, but near duplicates have been removed from the list, so things get more creative as we go along. For example: "Oh, hi!" is a common response, as is "I'm awake!" but I have only listed each one once. Phrases, such as those about poo-poo, differing only by a syllable, are only listed once.)
When I walk into Jillsie's room, it is pitch black. I let the light from the hall shine in and usually see Jills standing in the back corner of her crib with her babies arrayed in front of her and carefully covered by their blankies. If she has still been sleeping, she quickly scrambles to her feet. I walk over to her window and open the rolladen (black-out shades) as I say, "Good Morning, Jillson!" She always looks down because the outside light is startling to her. Sometimes she sneezes three times (the Gutsy Dad has this same reaction to sudden light). Then she grumbles her response:
1) Oh, hi!
2) I am not awake.
3) I'm awake.
4) I am not sleepy.
5) I need to fix my hair.
6) No, Mommy. Not yet.
7) I want some milk.
8) I don't have poo-poos.
9) You take my baby, please.
11) You need to fix it.
12) I want to hug you.
13) I've got to get out of here.
14) What's that?
15) I need to help Papa pap Zephie. (pap = pat)
16) I want some milk and some water, somehow.
17) My vagina is in my pants. You need to put clothes on your vagina. (I was fully clothed.)
18) Zephie is a little bit crazy. I back up.
19) It's beautiful, Mom.
20) I cuddle with my blankie.
21) I need a little moment.
22) Where are my socks?
23) I do not have a nose. I have a snout.
24) It's wet here.
25) We cannot get the binky from Marion.
26) Those are your blay-slips. (blay-slips = bracelets)
27) I heard you with the laundry.
28) There's some poo-poo in there.
29) Where's Pasta? (Her baby doll.)
And, lest you think she only showers her lingual genius on her mother, here are some things she has said to the dogs recently:
1) Woa, Nellie.
2) Back up, back up, back up.
3) Hold your horses.
4) You're a little bit crazy.
5) Stop panicking.
6) Your snout is beautiful.