Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cocktail of the Month - Pimm's Punch





It is my pleasure to introduce to you what we in the Gutsy Family are now referring to as British sangria.  If you are already familiar with this concoction, you may indeed be wondering why it has taken me so long to discover it.  But now that I know of it (thanks to my sister-in-law Heather), Pimm's seems as ubiquitous as my other summer favorite, the gin & tonic.

Pimm's is indeed a marvel of pure summer yumminess, and it goes down as easily as iced tea.  There are hundreds of variations of the cocktail recipe online, and from my limited research and, um, field testing, I would say the lemon and the cucumber are not optional.  Beyond that, it's just tweaking.

So, without further ado, I present for your summer enjoyment...

Pimm's Punch (It's not just for Henley anymore)
Pimm's No. 1 Cup
Ginger ale (or British-style "lemonade," i.e. a not-so-sweet, lemon-flavored carbonated beverage)
Lemons, sliced
Cucumbers, sliced (we used chunks)
Oranges, sliced (we used clementines)
Strawberries, quartered
Mint leaves, chopped up a bit

Into a glass or pitcher, place one part Pimm's to two parts ginger ale.  (For the pitcher pictured above I used 1 c. Pimm's and 2 c. ginger ale.)  Chop up the assorted produce and add to pitcher with copious amounts of ice.  Goes just as well with a fancy Wimbledon-watching gathering as it does with a casual backyard barbecue.

I recommend if for the post-pool "what shall we have for dinner" summer cocktail hour, which for me is evocative of sun hats, flip flops, browned limbs, and my favorite Spanish proverb:

What a marvelous thing it is
to do nothing
and then rest afterwards.

Here's to you!

ps: The very simplest version of this cocktail is also mighty fine, so do not feel you need to have all the fresh produce on hand to make it work.  Simply put 2 oz of Pimm's in the bottom of your glass, fill with ice, then fill with ginger ale.  Squeeze a wedge of lemon over the top, and swizzle it with your finger.  Enjoy.

4 comments:

Katie in Austin said...

Huzzah for Pimm's cup! Reminds me (believe it!) of actually punting on the River Cam, and twirling long cucumber swizzle sticks in the beverage, floating along looking at the green yards and brick walls. I'm inspired! And we shall be enjoying Pimm's Augmented ere long here at Brushy View Cove! THANKS!!!

Heather said...

So glad you like it! your pitcher looks like it could be on the cover for Gourmet magazine (which sadly doenst exist anymore).
In a pinch, Pimm's, lemonade, a bit of seltzer, and mint is delicious as well. I will have to try the full on punch this weekend. There has been some field testing in our house as well. Now the real question is - do you think we can find Pimms somewhere is Damriscotta, or do I need to pack a bottle in my luggage??

The Gutsy Mom said...

Katie, aren't the cucumbers the best part? I was happily surprised to find I liked them in the beverage!

LOL, Heather! My feeling is, if they have Pimm's at our liquor store here in Lansing, they are bound to have it somewhere in Dammy! Or you could always stop off somewhere between Portland and HI. Miss you!

Susanne said...

I've never heard of Pimm's #1 but am willing to give it a go. And I can so relate to that proverb. Ah, sweet summertime!