Saturday, October 24, 2009

One Year Ago

October 23, 2008 is #5 on my "Best Days of My Life" list. (Our two wedding days and the birth days of our two daughters are numbers 1 through 4, of course.)

One year ago (yesterday), we made signs...



We prepared surprises...

We waited and waited...

We cried with hysterical joy...

I became uncharacteristically patriotic...


And our family, as it was back then, was whole again...

I wrote recently about everything that has happened in a year, so I don't need to rehash that. But I also wanted to offer this up for consideration. SO MUCH can happen in a year. In less than a year from now, for example, my friends from Germany will be going through another Ridiculously Long Business Trip (RLBT). Can you imagine celebrating the anniversary of the homecoming, knowing that within the year there would be another bleak departure day? I cannot.

I am beginning to understand how my friends Rachel and Laura felt when our guys went on the RLBT and their husbands didn't. A sort of mix of relief and guilt and sadness and a deep, deep desire that my friends would never have to face an RLBT again. My husband's employer insists that gone are the days of 15 month RLBTs. This one, for my friends, should be only 12 months. Only.

Speaking of 12 months, my friend Mom on the Move also wrote about this powerful anniversary recently, quoting one of my favorite broadway songs along the way. Check it out. Watch the video. Sing along. How do you measure a year?

In daylights? In sunsets? In midnights? In cups of coffee? In inches? In miles? In laughter? In strife? How about love?

2 comments:

Mom on the Move! said...

Time is so funny... has it only been a year??? Has it been a year already???

Scottie Mom said...

Yes, a year can be quite crazy...especially with this employer!

Remembering that the Army's RLBT is double what the Navy's is for this "project" always made me feel grateful that J is in the Navy...

And now you are in Kansas...there is no place like home;-)