Thursday, October 23, 2008

Still Waiting



Rather than complain, I am posting this super-happy song. I heard this song on the radio a while a back and thought "I need that song" but I didn't know the name of it, who sang it, or any of the lyrics. I remembered the tune, though! In college, I used to go to the local HMV music store and say "it goes like this!" and then I would hum or "doo-doo-doo" various songs for the people who worked there. In every case, except for one--more on that later--, they knew what I was singing and found me my song. Well, Google doesn't respond to "it sounds like this." So, thank you Vicki, for posting this song on your site. It led me to many happy hours of surfing and reading and listening.

I know, I know. Jason Mraz been around for a while, and saying you like "I'm Yours" was a little bit like saying you liked UB40's "Red, Red Wine" in 8th grade. You'd be lame not to like it. I'm sure Jason's popular on the prep school circuit (he looks like he's still a student at one) and the college circuit. (According to the comments on his myspace, he is also quite popular with young girls in the Philippines. Hmm. Am I aging myself by saying that, as a mom, I am deeply paranoid about myspace and facebook?)

I am for sure aging myself by saying that I have come to realize that many of the new or new-to-me artists I am discovering these days are younger than I am. This is sobering. I remember my Dad talking a bit wistfully about the time(s) when he was watching baseball on TV only to realize that all the ballplayers were younger than he was. Is this my equivalent? Sigh.

Here's hoping that listening to Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson and Brandi Carlile will help keep me young. Or will they be to me what Tina Turner, Barry Manilow, and Lionel Richie were to our parents? Just my last attempt at staying hip? (Flash forward 12 years or so. I can just hear Jillsie and Sieby saying "Mom, pleeeease don't pick us up from school with that Jason Mraz stuff blasting, it's soooooo embarrassing.)

Finally, readers, if this song doesn't make you bop in your seat I think you need to have a serious reality check with yourself. Just let the pop reggae mellowness get on inside ya...

Cheers from the land of insomnia--
Still no news on the arrival of the Gutsy Dad--

Love,
The Immer-Hip Gutsy Mom

No comments: