Thursday, August 14, 2008

Binky & Odor Update

Bed time last night was a mixed bag. Jillson did not mention binky to me even once, which was surprising. The whole bedtime routine went smoothly, adorably. I put her in her crib and she was happy and normal. Then I left the room. Not 30 seconds after I had left the room the crying began. She cried for about 45 minutes. I know some of you are thinking "45 minutes? That's not bad!" But this was hard on me. She was calling out plaintively for binky. The crying was very mournful, not hysterical or tragic, just full of grief. She is missing her good friend, Binky. She was singing a little elegy: "Oh, Binka-Binka-Binka! Biiiiiin-keeee...." According to my fastidious google research, we should have 3 or 4 days with this crying and then she should be totally fine. This better be true. In the meantime, I am reminding myself why I am doing this and I am trying to be strong (gutsy). Two major reasons:

1) Binky is messing with Jillson's teeth.
2) There are other big changes coming Jillson's way, and I'd rather separate the changes. In September she starts German preschool. In November Papa comes home. In January a sibling arrives (who will likely have his/her own binky). At some point in the next 6 months, I'd like to start potty training (pediatrician says she is not quite ready yet).

The best news is that Jillsie slept through the night without a peep. I know this because I did not sleep through the night (pregnancy insomnia). If she did wake up she found other ways to soothe herself back to sleep.

Next. The odor. Yes, it is gone. Although, shortly after eradicating it, Zephie had a pee-pee accident in the house, and both dogs rolled in manure on our dogwalk. Awesome. While these are both easily managed (and the associated odors have also now been eliminated) it was rather annoying in a Murphy's Law sort of way. Or, frankly, the odors could still be here but I've grown immune. My Bavarian allergies are back, so I can't really smell a darn thing.

No comments: