Thursday, November 4, 2010

Toddler Riffing

Madelyn is in her crib in her room, singing to herself.  She is improvising on "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."  Her lyrics are:

"Dee doo, dee doo, moo ha ha
Hoo hoo, loo loo, any now."

She pauses. She says quietly to herself: "I know, I know."

She resumes singing, this time to the tune of "Rain, Rain Go Away."

"Rain, rain, go lie down,
Zephie no no Papa la."

I wish I had an Alias-like spy kit so I could snake a miniature recording device under her door and capture these adorable sounds for all eternity.

2 comments:

Katie Parsoneault said...

Marg, both your children have absolutely remarkable minds and spirits. I strongly suspect that might have something to do with their absolutely remarkable parents ... but of course, there's Something More with children like yours. The image of Maddie quietly telling herself, "I know, I know..." brought me to breathless, teary-eyed awe. Thank you so much for letting us all share this.

Mom said...

I get goosebumps reading this. Such a joy! There is a long line of Jillson/Barker/McGarrys who like to sing at odd moments of the day. How I wish I could be just outside Maddie's door.