Sunday, May 16, 2010

On Beyond Corky

Sometimes I think I would really enjoy being a children's librarian, but for now I will settle for being our family's librarian.

For over a year now I have been meaning to compile a list of our favorite books, and now I have finally done it. I say this is "our" list because in order for a book to make the list, both Jillson and I must enjoy it. Want to see if your favorite book made the cut? The list is posted as a separate blog page, so just click the link directly under the blog header.

What were your favorite picture books as a child? Can you remember back that far? Two of mine were Corky and The Little Brute Family. Any books on my list that you adore or despise? You don't have to have children to join in on this one...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great lists..I love your idea!
Perfect for a scrapbook page too!!

I would like to add "Oh the Places You'll Go"
and "Freckle Juice".
Anything Amelia Bedelia and "Where the Sidewalk Ends".

You have inspired me to make a list for the kids! Already have my own, so why not theirs too!!

The Gutsy Mom said...

Great suggestions! I love(d) those books, too. When did you start reading Shel Silverstein to the kids? I feel like 3 is a little young... I have the best memories of my Dad reading Where the Sidewalk Ends to me.

Unknown said...

I've found the "if you give a mouse a cookie" (and the various permutations) to be very clever as well.
And, cannot leave out the frog and toad stories, which were some of my favorites.
We are now into various i-can-read books and easy chapter books, and so far the "Nate the Great" series are favorites (and were from my childhood too). Very well written clever, and funny. And i second Amelia Bedelia. :-)

Unknown said...

Previous post came from 'charlie' because his email is currently open (yes, he has an email address for all the c-r-a-p my mom forwards...) in case you were confused :-)
-heather

AdventureMom said...

Some classics that M and I love right now are: " Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney, and "Giraffe and a Half" by Shel Silverstein. She's also enjoying the Berenstain Bears series. Of course she loves the "Olivia" books. From your list she also loves "That New Animal" (thanks!), "Ten Rubber Ducks", "Goodnight Moon", "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", and several others.
What a great project! I can't wait to try some of your suggestions.