Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cocktail of the Month -- Glory Blossom Bourbon Slushies

September is almost over, and soon October will be here, and I will have to admit that it is Fall. But until that time, I am still pretending it's summer, and I am still enjoying this summery drink. Perfect for a porch party. Or just because.

I came across this awesome grown-up slurpy back in April 2013, when I was randomly selected as one of two people to join the Deen Brothers in judging a cooking contest. This marvelous concoction, created by one Kristi Forbes, was the unanimous winner in the beverage category.

Here I am with the guys after we enjoyed our Glory Blossoms. (Jamie may or may not have gone back for seconds. I may or may not have done that also.)



GLORY BLOSSOM BOURBON SLUSHIES

1 (12 oz) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 (12 oz) cans frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 cups strong tea
2 cups bourbon
2 cups peach schnapps
1 1/2 cups sugar
7 cups water
1 (2 liter) bottle 7-Up, optional
1 jar maraschino cherries, optional

Mix everything together (minus the optional ingredients), stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Freeze.  (I freeze it in two 13x9 pans. The shallower your liquid, the faster it will freeze.  Mix it up in the morning; it will be ready mid-afternoon.) Don't worry if it seems frozen solid. It melts into a drinkable, slurpable consistency fairly quickly. 

When ready to serve, scrape the slush out into a large bowl or pitcher. Allow guests (or self) to fill individual glasses with slush, topping with 7-Up and a cherry, if desired. Leftovers can be frozen in individual mason jars, which make for great impromptu cocktails.

Just be careful--these can pack a punch! But it's a pretty punch.


In fact, I just might have to try some while making my daughter's birthday dinner...


Yup, still good.




No comments: